Kitchener Centre’s New Democratic Party would like to extend a hearty congratulations to ACCKWA (The Aids Committee of Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo and Area) on their 25 years of vital service to the community.
Well-wishers and dignitaries joined staff and community members on Monday, October 1st for an Open House at ACCKWA’s offices which are located at 2B-625 King St. East in Kitchener. Tours were given, coffee and desserts were enjoyed, and heartfelt stories and songs were shared by community members.
ACCKWA provides many support services throughout our region, including:
- Information and referrals to services in Waterloo region, regarding financial assistance, housing, medical, dental, counselling and legal counsel.
- Workshops, Retreats and Group Support to mediate isolation and loneliness.
- Emotional Support through the use of individual, family and group counselling, as well as home or hospital visits.
ACCKWA provides community outreach by:
- bar/nightclub outreach
- AIDS awareness campaigns
- sex trade worker outreach
- booths at community events
- street involved outreach through shelters, soup kitchens and drop in centres
- ACCKWA operates a free and confidential needle exchange program; Monday – Friday 9:30am-1pm at St John’s Soup Kitchen in Kitchener; Tuesday and Wednesday 12:30-4:30pm at the Cambridge Satellite office.
ACCKWA also provides Community education by providing workshops including HIV 101, Sexually Transmitted Infections 101, & Harm Reduction.
ACCKWA also has an African & Caribbean Strategy, Women’s Community Development, and a Gay Men’s Sexual Health Program.
On a personal note, this was my first visit to the ACCKWA offices as LGBTQ Representative for Kitchener Centre’s New Democratic Party, and the people at ACCKWA made me feel immediately at home. The staff at ACCKWA are caring and passionate about their work. My thanks to Dana, Spencer, Colin, and Executive Director Colby Marcellus for making me feel so welcome. As Kitchener Centre’s New Democrats, we look forward to partnering with you in the future!
Mark Andrew Alward – Kitchener Centre’s New Democratic Party – LGBTQ Representative
To Contact ACCKWA:
http://www.acckwa.com, Tel: 519-570-3687 or toll-free 1-877-770-3687